[Success] ClarkM’s GA-Z170-HD3P | i7-6700 | Quadro k420 | 24GB ddr4 | High Sierra 10.13.6

ClarkM’s Build:
Core i7-6700 – GA-Z170-HD3P – 24GB RAM – Quadro k420


Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P Motherboard

Already Owned

Intel i7-6700 Processor

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

RAM: Crucial 2x8GB ddr4

RAM: Crucial 2x4GB ddr4

NVIDIA Quadro K420 Graphics Card

SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SATA III SSD

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD (for time machine)

ICY DOCK Dual 2.5 SSD 1 x 3.5 HDD Device Bay to 5.25 Drive Bay Converter/Mounting / Kit/Adapter – Flex-FIT Trio

Rosewill – BRONZE Series – 1000-Watt Active PFC Power Supply

Coolermaster CM690 Mid Tower Computer Case

Rosewill card reader

Optiarc DVD-RW optical drive

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, GBU521


I was tasked with fixing a family member’s ‘broken’ Dell Precision T3240 SFF pc. After going back and forth with them, and still encountering freezing issues, it was donated to me. I couldn’t quite diagnose the problem but knew it was either a problem with cpu or motherboard. I ended up extracting a i7-6700, 2x8GB ddr4 ram, 2x4GB ddr4 ram, and a quadro k420 low-profile gpu from it.

The cpu cooler, case, psu, card reader, and optical drive came from my first hack build I did back in 2010 (//clarkm.com/budget-mac-snow-leopard-hackintosh-recipe).

The ssd came from an impulse buy I did a year or so ago.

I realized I had all the parts necessary to make a fairly powerful hack with the exception of a motherboard. I did some quick research and found the GA-Z170-HD3P board works well. I picked one up for $60 on ebay.

I took a vacation day from work and did the hardware build.

My favorite thing about the build is how quiet it runs – it’s completely fanless due to the giant heatsink cooler.


Bios (hold delete key on boot):

Set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults. Then set Sata Mode to ACHI.

Disable VT-d, CFG-Lock , secure boot mode. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled.

Create Unibeast: //www.tonymacx86.com/threads/…ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

Boot from High Sierra unibeast usb (hold f12), and go through the installation process. For what it’s worth, I chose to format my drive as APFS.

After MacOS installation, run Multibeast for High Sierra.

Choose UEFI Boot Mode, then drivers:

Audio -> ALC887

Network -> 811H

Then ‘build’ and restart.

I did the initial install with the integrated intel graphics, then for dual monitors added K420 graphics card & installed latest nvidia drivers. This is basically the reason why I’m still running High Sierra.

What Works:

iMessage – done per iDiot’s Guide to iMessage
All other icloud services.
Gigabit network,
Video – full acceleration thanks to nvidia web drivers. (//www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html)

Doesn’t work/untested:

USB 3.1 Type C port on back hasn’t been tested as I don’t have any type c devices.


2018 Hack Pro hackintosh rebuild beginning

8 years, a marriage, and 2 kids later, I figure it’s time to rebuild the dusty old hackintosh (and update the blog!). I really only actively used it for a couple years. It’s collected dust in my office, donated to my wife’s workplace, came back into my possession — and sat in my garage. Now it’s time to resurrect it!

Going into the new build:

  • i7-6700 skylake cpu
  • 24GB (2x8gb + 2x4gb) ddr4 ram
  • 960gb windows ssd (preserve existing win10 install)
  • 500gb hack ssd
  • 1TB storage drive for time machine
  • Cooler master CM690 case
  • Rosewill 1000w power supply

I’ve learned a lot about repairing/building pcs (cable management!), and the hackintosh community since my first build. Although I honestly haven’t done a full personal build since 2011.

The parts (part) cost me a grand total of $60 on ebay since I had everything but the motherboard either lying around or donated/salvaged.

The most costly/important component, the i7-6700 was removed from a flakey, refurbished Dell precision that I had been tasked to repair. I could not properly diagnose the problem so it was donated to me. In my testing, I could say it’s either the cpu or motherboard. Memtest86 RAM test passed after hours & hours of testing. Prime95 was used to stress the cpu to the max – no problems.

So I assume it’s something on the motherboard, although I can’t conclusively say it’s *not* the cpu going into the new build. I guess I’ll have to wait & find out.

Anyway, here are some teaser pics:

Stay tuned for progress!